Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Instrumenting my blog with AdCenter Analytics

Step 1. Get an adCenter Analytics account. Check. I already have that.

Step 2. Create a new profile. Easy enough, took all of 10 seconds.

Step 3. Copy the javascript.

Step 4. Figure out how to add this to my blog on blogspot.com. How do I do this? Ok, let me search and see what turns up.

Did a quick search on variations of "how to add adcenter analytics tracking code to your blog" - unfortunately nothing promising turned up, except for an adcentercommunity blog post outlining the major steps as the top result, which was relevant but did not have anything specific to blogspot.

Quick look in adcenter analytics help also revealed nothing specific to blogger.

Since the blog is hosted on blogger, next bet would be to look at blogger help for any insights. Hmm, nothing directly useful, except it did point to Google Analytics.

All right, next step is to search in Google Analytics help. I headed over there and soon enough (searching for blogspot in the help) I found what I needed.

Step 5. Edit the HTML for the blog template and insert the tracking code. Easy!

Now all I have to do is wait for the data to show up in my reports. Let's see how it looks tomorrow.

No comments: